Bittern

Record shot of Chestnut Bittern - குருகு



























I was desperately looking for that photo opportunity, not with a celebrity but with a bird that has several mentions in ancient Tamil literature. That is bittern, in tamil kuruku (குருகு).  You can see the collection of songs from various Sangam literary works in this page. It is really a great work. I admire and appreciate the author of the blog. The book of Dr. Rathnam on Birds of Tamilnadu says this bird (Chestnut Bittern) which is shy and very much afraid of humans. It will be hiding in the riverside bushes and reeds entire day and comes out only in the morning and evening hours to prey on fishes and frogs.  
Drawing from Birds of Tamilnadu by Dr. Rathnam

The song given below is written by Sangam poet Kabilar and is collected in KuRunthokai. As I read the poem, really I astonished to see the simplicity of the language he used to express the unspeakable agony of a helpless young girl who involved in a secret love affair. How can she bring evidence for the fornication that happened in the secret meeting place probably along the riverside if her lover lied or denied the affair or delayed the marriage? She can only think of a bittern that was looking for lampreys when he took her. By mentioning a bird which is a shy and fearful one Kabilar brings another dimension to the poem.  

Only the thief was there, no one else.
And if he should lie, what can I do?
There was only a thin-legged heron standing
on legs yellow as millet stems
and looking for lampreys
in the running water
when he took me.     

Kabilar (KuRunthokai 25)   Translated by  A.K. Ramanujan




யாரும் இல்லை; தானே கள்வன்;
தான் அது பொய்ப்பின், யான் எவன் செய்கோ?
தினை தாள் அன்ன சிறு பசுங் கால
ஒழுகு நீர் ஆரல் பார்க்கும்
குருகும் உண்டு, தான் மணந்த ஞான்றே.
கபிலர் (குறுந்தொகை 25)

The silence laced with pain is so sharp and deep. The day I read this poem, I decided to see and photograph this bird. A connection that transcend time and generations; An image of fear, shyness, secrecy and loneliness.   However, for a long time I was not getting a chance.

That day in the Cauvery I was advancing through the bushes while consciously looking for birds, suddenly I noticed this bird that was watching me. I was thinking whether this is a Indian pond heron or bittern and trying to focus my camera. My cell phone alarmed, I fired, it whisked away. All in a second. I was cursing myself for not practicing the rules of wild-life photography. Anyway this record shot is worth posting, I think.

Comments

Popular Posts